Every year paint manufacturer Dulux gathers a team of design experts to predict colour trends for the year ahead. ‘The common thread coming through for 2016 was yellow – and gold in particular. We drew inspiration from all the different tones of this colour, including bold metallic hues and earthy shades, bringing them all together to create Cherished Gold,’ explains Colour Design Manager Rebecca Williamson.
Rebecca shares her expert advice on how to create a stunning scheme with this winning hue.
- Consider the size, ceiling height and, most importantly, the amount of natural light in the space you’re decorating. For instance, if it’s a big, north-facing room that gets less light this will suit using warmer hues. Charcoal grey and chocolate brown work well for a traditional scheme or select rose pink and putty for a more contemporary feel. In a south-facing room, cool colours will be less intense when the light floods in. Try duck egg blue and pale grey.
- Stick to just three colours in your scheme for a cohesive look.
- It’s unusual to start with a completely blank canvas as most of us have things we love and want to keep, like certain pieces of furniture. Base your Cherished Gold colour palette around these pieces to create a scheme that works with them.
- Add extra wow-factor with a paint effect. A technique that’s taken off this year is to paint the bottom half of your room in a different colour to the top. You can either create a sharp line where the two colours meet – at the height of a traditional dado rail – or merge the two colours in a subtle ombré effect.
- If you don’t want to completely redecorate, have a go at upcycling furniture and accessories to bring in accents of Cherished Gold. Even on smaller areas, such as plant pots, shelves or cupboard door handles it can make a big difference.
World-leading heptathlete and Rio hopeful Katarina Johnson-Thompson was chosen to be the face of Cherished Gold. She describes her first foray into colour scheming at home. ‘I wanted a space that was cosy and comfortable but with bit of glitz and glamour. So I teamed soft throws and cushions with really nice gold wall art and accessories.’
Visit Dulux and search Cherished Gold for more information.